Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Bunda Mountain



It has been decided that we will attempt to climb Kilimanjaro in February. So every weekend we've been doing day trips and hiking to get ready.  

The first place we went to was Bunda Mountain.  To our surprise, we ran into scores of people at the top praying as evidently it is a spiritual place.  Many had spent the night there and the top of the peak was filled with wailing and prayers.  See the video for more about how it sounded.  I'll need to do some more research to find out why this place is so important to the Malawians.
Meredith entertaining the kids in the village at the base of the hill.  We ended up using Paul as our guide (red sleeves).

Don't we all, buddy (in reference to his shirt).


The crew on a rest stop.  It was straight up.

On top of Bunda.

Rob and Caroline revisiting their last visit. They went up the steep side and this is what it felt like.

There were a number of rocks on the top painted with the words: "Calling of God."
Here is a short video of the sounds of prayer from the top of Bunda Mountain.







My hiking boots failed on the way down. Wow.  Destroyed after 2 hikes in Africa.  I'll need to pick up some in South Africa over Christmas.  Or I'll get some flip flops like the kid has on behind me.  


3 comments:

  1. Kilamanjaro!! You SOB!! that's my trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. February 16th. This can be your trip, too, Shaun. We're also going to go to Ngorongoro Crater. February in Tanzania is pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bunda Mountain. I used to have a little place up there for corporate retreats before I bought the compound on Ricki Lake.

    Seriously, it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete