Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Birthday at South Luangwa


Meredith asked me where I wanted to go for my birthday, and without hesitation I said South Luangwa National Park in Zambia. I don't need to explain why once you look at the pictures.  It is one of the greatest game parks in all of Africa. One thing that has surprised me is how much I love seeing these parks in Africa. Always I am filled with awe and wonder at seeing them.  I never liked zoos growing up; chalk it up to just how confined the animals look.  Luangwa is 3,500 square miles or about 75% of Connecticut.  That is a different experience. 
Our tree house at Mfuwe Lodge.
The look out the back porch.

Me reading on the back porch.
'
A grouping of zebras is called a dazzle. Perfect word for that.




We ran into a rare pack of African Wild Dogs.  There are only 5000 left in the wild.



Leopard at night
Leopard in a tree on my birthday morning.  This is why you go with a guide. I would have missed this 100 times out of 100.







A bunch of vultures over a carcass.  Gruesome, I know, but its a sight I'll never forget.



Cape Buffalo

Kudu

Wildebeest



I have no idea what they are doing here other than playing in water.

I could watch elephants all day long.


Dung Beetle.  Its a ball of crap the size of a tennis ball. But that one beetle is moving it on its own. It is shocking to see rolling balls of poop on the road like this.

Giraffes do lie down!



They made a cake for the birthday night. Ran out of space for the "h" and added an extra "l" to my name that was soon removed (they love spelling my name "Kelvin"). The cake was incredible however. No complaints.





4 comments:

  1. Great pics! you'll never go to a zoo again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say. I'm addicted to these game parks and the days there.

      Delete
  2. Hard to imagine the wild dogs are dwindling. Looks like a hunting machine. That leopard is incredible! - Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have strange breeding and eating habits. Only one female and male mate. When they eat only the dominant eat and them the pair vomit up the food for the rest of the pack. This is why there are low numbers. If one became poisoned, they whole pack went down.

      Delete