Sunday, August 24, 2014

Old Town Market in Lilongwe and Dedza

On a Saturday, we went to the market and then hiking in Dedza all in the same day.  It was overwhelming, beautiful and exhausting.  

To get to the Old Town Market you have to take one of these bridges and pay a bridge troll a toll of 20 Kwatcha (5c) to cross.  And then you risk your life on the bridge. 
Two roads...which would you take?  I had doubts it could hold my weight. 
Amazing colors in the market.



There is an area of the market with old tee-shirts bought in bulk from overseas.  This is where donated clothes spend their last days. 
Of course, I had to see the largest cockroach I've ever seen there too.  They grow them big in Africa.

Views from the top of Dedza Mountain, about an hour from Lilongwe.

4 comments:

  1. Will you get me a "Denver Broncos Super Bowl Champs 2013" tshirt from that market, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is where that Superbowl tee shirt would be! I'm hoping to find a Vikings one

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, in some ways, not much has changed, has it?

      Delete