Friday, December 26, 2014

Shark Diving on Christmas Eve

When I first learned I was headed to Southern Africa, tops on the list was going to Cape Town and follow that up with a shark diving trip. So on Xmas Eve Day, we booked the trip. Think of it as a gift a day early.  It was amazing to see such a beautiful creature up close from behind a phone booth like cage. One even got so close it crashed into the cage. It was stunning.  However, I wouldn't do it again despite the rush and my amazement with it. Part of it is the winds picked up and I became sick half way through the long trip at sea. So did 75% of the boat.  Just about the only ones who didn't were the kids and crew. However the main reason is I just don't think it is sustainable for great white sharks to be drawn in just for my viewing with chum in the water and a baited line. There has to be a better way to appreciate the majesty of this animal.

The Apex Predator.  Our boat.

Cut out of the cage.
Mmmm.  Sitting right next to the chum bin.


Prepare to meet the shark.





The floaty seal named "Gladys" is irresistible if you're a shark.







2 comments:

  1. No underwater shots? Where's the GoPro stuff? I wanna hear your screams. - Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have the raw underwater video from the boat that was filmed with a GoPro! Trust me, you will see this someday when I get back and I edit it. (The GoPro I planned on buying I returned before leaving for Malawi)

      Delete