Monday, December 1, 2014

Zanzibar

Here are some more pictures of the brilliant Zanzibar trip.  If you haven't already seen it, we got engaged! See the earlier post if not; I'll keep this one to the other parts of the trip. The initial reason for going was Meredith's birthday my visa situation in Malawi.  Upon arrival I get a 30 day visa and then extend for another 60.  Then I need to leave the country and start the process all over again.  I'll need to do this until I leave.

Stone Town is a warren of streets.  It all reminded me a lot of any Arab influenced city I've been to.  

It's a stunning little island.


The hotel we stayed in.




Here is the electrical grid.


Zanzibar was a slave trading center for many in Eastern and Southern Africa.  It has a moving museum remembering this this on the site where they held and auctioned slaves.
It is the kind of place with bar fill for sundowners.  


We had dinner at Emerson on Hurumzi on top of the hotel.  It was amazing.
We next went to Zanzibar Retreat Hotel.  It was so bright, I couldn't open my eyes for any pictures while on the beach.  Take a look in the background to the right of the ship.  That's Mnemba Atoll and where we went snorkeling.

This is the view from the eating/reading area at the hotel.

Getting ready to go snorkeling.  We went for 4 hours.


Sympathy sandman for all the folks back in MN.


2 comments:

  1. What a great trip! Not a bad thing to have to do to re-up your visa! Did you try scuba or snorkeling? Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snorkeling, and I borrowed someone's GoPro. It was fantastic. Now just have to edit the movie. When I have a little more time I'll see if I can make something of it.

      Delete